American Association of University Women
Bridgeport Area Branch

Join Us Program Events Newsletter Our Board

 

 

Our History

On November 27, 1916, about forty women met in the Trinity Church in Bridgeport to proceed with the organization of a College Club for Women. The College Club of Bridgeport became a reality in January, 1917. Meetings were scheduled on the fourth Monday of each month and dues were $1.00.The object of the club was "To promote friendship among College Women of Bridgeport and vicinity and to stimulate them to make a united effort in securing higher standards of education and better civic conditions."

In 1927 a Club House was purchased on Courtland Street. During the thirty years of ownership and growing activity, the group dealt with increasing membership affiliating with the state and national organization and increasing participation in educational and civic improvement- to name a few.

On September 9, 1931, AAUW started a Bridgeport Area Branch with 19 members from the former College Club Of Bridgeport.

Many changes occurred during those early years. The neighborhood changed, regulations became more stringent and finally the Club House was sold in 1958 to make way for Interstate 95. The members continued to meet in churches, schools, private clubs, libraries and members homes.

Our membership voted to support the new structure of AAUW(as adopted at the 1963 Convention) As well as adopting a revised constitution with an explicit statement of the duties of officers and committees and their relationship to each other.

Thus we have become active partners as the Bridgeport Area Branch(Connecticut) of the American Association of University Women.

Trouble viewing? This web site is best viewed in the current versions of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or Internet Explorer.

Contact us: fanslow@juno.com or call 203.375.1284